My Top 5 80's love songs

Perhaps more than ever before, the 1980’s were a time when popular music was used to make political statements.  From the reaction in the UK to Thatcherism and to a lesser extent to Reaganism in the US, to generation defining moments such as Live Aid in 1985, the 80’s were a time of activism.  However, whilst there were the protest songs of bands like The Specials and The Jam, artists still found time to write and record songs about love.  And of course, the great British record buying public went out and bought 80’s love songs by the bucket load.  This is my review of 5 of my favourites.

The Style Council was Paul Weller’s next big project after The Jam.  This song, You’re The Best Thing, charted in 1984 in the UK as a double A side with The Big Boss Groove and rose to the heights of number 5.  Weller was perhaps the original angry young man of 80’s pop music, so this came as a bit of a surprise – a gorgeous love song.  It’s a song in which Weller tells his love that he’s been tempted, but that nothing could move him from her – ‘I might shoot to win and commit the sin… I’m content just with the riches that you bring.’
Say Hello, Wave Goodbye was Soft Cell’s third UK hit single making number 3 in 1982.  It followed on from 1981’s towering hit Tainted Love and Bed Sitter a number 4 effort, also from 1981.  Taken from the album Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye gives a nod to the Beatles Hello Goodbye.  The singer is relating his story of a failed relationship  - due to the inability of his girlfriend to remain faithful to him, ‘you were a sleep around, a lost and found…’.  It’s a delicious, perfect piece of British Synth Pop and to my mind is a better all round effort than Tainted Love.
If you’re only going to have just one or two hit singles, best make them good ones.  That’s the creed by which Cutting Crew lived their short moment of fame in 1986.  (I Just) Died In Your Arms was the group’s first single and made it to number 1 on the US Hot 100 and number 4 in the UK singles chart.  Their follow up single, I’ve Been In Love Before also hit the US top 10, getting to number 9 and managed a respectable number 24 in the UK singles chart.  But then that was it.  The lyrics to Died In Your Arms are allegedly a reference to sexual fulfilment but the lyrics themselves seem to tell a tale of regret with two phrases, ‘I should’ve walked away, I should’ve walked away’, and ‘I followed my hands, not my head, I know I was wrong’ giving us this impression.  No matter, this was a top moment of 80’s pop.
Madness has got to be THE band of the 80’s.  Others no doubt have equally valid claims to the title, but for me-and-my-bruvver these cats were the business!  From 1979’s The Prince through to (Waiting For) The Ghost Train in 1986 Madness scored a total of 23 UK Top 40 hits.  Of all of these my favourite is, was and will forever be their cover of Labi Siffre’s song It Must Be Love.  From the moment I first heard it I was taken, I used to write the lyrics and send them to the girl up the road – she never got the message, or perhaps that was me, I never got the message?!  Released in 1981 the song got to number 4 in the UK and even managed a number 33 placing in the US Hot 100 – one of only 3 Madness singles that did.  But then I suppose that just made them ours, all ours!
Phyllis Nelson’s 1985 hit, Move Closer made her the first black woman to top the UK chart with a self-penned song.  It also makes her a genuine one hit wonder on the UK chart as it was her only single released as well as being a number one.  It tells the story of her love for a white man, with whom she brought up her two children.  The song is an honest appraisal of their differences and the attendant pressures likely to destroy their relationship, but it also takes great solace in the opportunity to live in the present and to enjoy each other before it ends.  I loved this song from the moment I first heard it; it’s a beautiful, haunting ballad perfectly capable of moving me to tears at the drop of a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment